[:en]Part time: 16-20 hours/week
Reports to: Development and Communications Coordinator
Start date: March 2015
Application Deadline: March 9, 2015
Apply to: email@example.com
Asia Catalyst seeks a part time, unpaid intern for an 8-week placement, starting in March 2015 to work in our midtown-Manhattan office. We seek self-starters with a passion for social justice and rule of law who will be an active part of the organization. Candidates with an interest or background in Asia and human rights, particularly the right to health, are encouraged to apply.
Supervised by the Development and Communications Coordinator, the intern will learn about institutional and individual fundraising and communications strategy and work to promote Asia Catalyst’s advocacy objectives and capacity building programs through the organization’s growing development department. The intern will primarily work with senior staff to identify and initiate development strategies to maximize the success of Asia Catalyst’s regional program. The regional program will bring together community leaders from marginalized groups in Cambodia, China, Myanmar, and Viet Nam to build skills on human rights analysis, documentation, and advocacy. Program participants will conduct rights-based advocacy on the issue of discrimination against people living with HIV (PLHIV) in healthcare settings.
The intern will also draft and manage substantive content for internal and external use to promote Asia Catalyst’s other program and advocacy activities in Asia, via our blog, website, and social media accounts. In addition, the intern will also work together with the Development and Communications coordinator and management to update and augment Asia Catalyst’s annual fundraising strategy and timeline based on the organization’s objectives, current funding streams, and core values.
- Excellent written communication skills in English required; Asian Language skills (Chinese, Vietnamese, Burmese, Khmer) helpful
- Computer skills: Microsoft Word and Excel, Skype, Facebook, Twitter, ability to learn new programs
- Strong organizational, time management and communication skills with meticulous attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently as well as function as a member of a team;
- Ability to work with all programs, all staff, and across time zones;
- Work with Development and Communications Coordinator to develop and implement a strategy to support Asia Catalyst’s regional program and other activities in Asia; manage content submissions from other staff and partners, research and contribute content;
- Research new funding sources for Asia Catalyst and help track calls for proposals and statements of interest from prospective donors; identify opportunities for pro bono collaboration or contributions in-kind
- Research and contribute general content to Asia Catalyst’s blog on substantive right to health related issues; use social media to promote the work of Asia Catalyst and our community partners;
- Generate and implement ideas; identify opportunities in communities, the media, and beyond to highlight Asia Catalyst, its programs, and its events;
- Track relevant news and research reports about health rights in Asia Catalyst’s target communities for monthly media analysis mailings; assist with composing monthly media analysis
- Participate in bi-weekly staff and volunteer meetings;
- Support the Executive Director and Development and Communications Coordinator in additional tasks as needed.
Asia Catalyst works with community based organizations from marginalized groups in Asia that promote the right to health. We train our partners to meet high standards of effective and democratic governance, to establish a stable foundation for future growth, and to conduct rigorous human rights research and advocacy. We aim to help our partners become leading advocates at the local, national and global levels.
Asia Catalyst does not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, citizenship, age, religion, disability, status, genetic information, military status or any other classification as provided by law.
This position is based in New York, New York, and is unpaid.
Interested applicants can submit a resume and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 9, 2015. No calls please.[:]